Recently, a friend and I got into an email exchange over a blog post that I forwarded him which outlined that the Administration was being misleading about its characterization that TARP made money. And the post concludes (my emphasis):
It’s sad to see our prejudices confirmed yet again, that it is best to assume the Administration is lying until proven otherwise.
My friend thought the use of “lying” was hyperbolic and unfair. I didn’t necessarily disagree with him, but did say that by the strictest definition of the word, the usage was actually well within bounds.
lie 2 (l)
This all brought me back to when I took a trip with a girlfriend to Dominican Republic. We went whitewater rafting and she got hit in the face by a stray oar. Smack. Down Goes Frazier! Into the water I went after her since she couldn’t swim (long story…). So we make it back in the boat, the expedition mercifully ends and she asks me to look at her mouth and says she feels like she got hit by a baseball bat (close…but not quite). So, of course, I tell her, “It’s ok. You’ll be alright. It doesn’t look that bad.” Finally a random lady cuts me off and says, “Stop lying to the girl.” Yeah, her mouth was jacked. Like had to go to the dentist to get that ish fixed kinda jacked.
So, the second definitions clearly happen all the time. So does that mean we are breaking one of the lessons that is drilled into us as chilren day after day after day? And when is it acceptable?
- “The car you’re buying has run terrific for me for years…”
- “It’s Rihanna’s Birthday Party Extravaganza at Club _____ …”
- “It’s cool. We good…”
- “Girl. If you just do this, I promise I want to be with only you…”
- “I only have a couple of boxes to move…”
- “Yes, this is my hair…”
- “Red Bull gives you wings!”
- “You’re so handsome and funny. Can you buy me and my friend a drink?”
- “I did not have sexual relations with that woman”
- “Am I sexually attracted to underage boys? I…I enjoy young people…”
- And a bonus: “We didn’t have a massive short against the housing market and we certainly did not bet against our clients”
So, which of these are lying and which are not? And which are acceptable and which are not? And why?